Saturday, September 10, 2005

Georgia #1

We left for Atlanta on Thursday and drove straight through arriving around 2:30 in the morning and then slept for quite a while. Because the drive took about 15 hours instead of the usual 10-12 hours. You are probably asking yourself. Why did it take so long to get to Atlanta. Well, when you are driving through parts of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama where they are on a gasoline shortage it takes just a little longer. This is because when you do find a gas station that has gas we had to wait in line for at least 30 minutes just to get to the pump, then we had to cross our fingers that that pump was working correctly. We you got to the pump the limit was $25. When driving a Suburban $25 dollars worth of gas at $2.49 a gallon is not going to get you down the road very far. So this ended up happening a few times when trying to get to Atlanta. Now I am not saying this was negative part of our trip. No this was very entertaining, because you got a chance to see and be apart of something I thought I would not see for a very long time. That is having to ration gasoline. There was once when a couple of people pulled up to the pump after having waited a good while and then said had no money for gas. So the people next to them reached into their pockets and handed them money almost as fast as they could say they needed help. This was pretty cool to see.
Ok, well we finally made our way to Atlanta and the next day we had a twilight crit, with Shannon racing at 7:30pm and Nate, Joe and myself racing at 9pm. The races went well. Shannon put in some good attacks to try and breakup the field and get something going. While in the mens race Nathan took a flyer early on and I later in the race tried a couple time to get off with no real success. The last break a made was sticking for a while then my partner in the break broke himself. Joes was able to keep himself safe and came across the line in 8th for the evening.
One more little story and I will stop for the day. At the end of the crit I was very hungry and needed something to eat. Joe went to check results Nate later went and followed to check them out also. I was on my way to the same area when I found a very large Submarine sandwich that someone did not want. So I grabbed it and rolled off to check on the guys. I see Nate talking to someone so I roll up and don't say a word. Just sitting on my top tube eating my newly found sandwich.

Check back later

Matt "Can I have some of your sandwich" Seagrave

No comments: