Sunday, August 21, 2005

Columbus Stage Race

Well, I am back at my folks house. This weekend was like walking down a dark hallway that has closed door. Yes you will get to your final destination ok, but for the short time when you walk smack into the door it hurts.
Fridays evening was the Prologue (1.5miles). Everything was going good then fourth pedal stroke into it I pulled right out of my pedal. I made it into my rhythm and was moving well then on the fourth or fifth turn I started to take the turn too much speed and about took a small group of people out so I had to grab my brakes, (and for those of you who are familiar with my TT, yes I did have my brakes set so they would grab for the prologue) after that I got my self back up to speed and was off and was able to secure a descent finish and within striking distance for tomorrow.
Saturday, this was interesting seeing as I did not get more than three hours of sleep. So when I got up for the road race I thought to myself. Well, I really hope I don't let the guys down today. I was feeling good, but just questioned the lack of sleep. Since we were staying just down the road from the start we rode there. From the gun everything was good and staying together with a few breaks. I never initiated anything but would just sit on wheels that rolled. With about 1.5 miles to go in the 4th of 5 laps troy was on the front with me on his wheel just cruising at about 22mph when I hear on the radio "you have a gap" so I half look over my shoulder and then tell Troy we have a gap so I jump instantaneously. This last mile of the loop goes through winding roads of downtown Columbus so I think get a gap and out of site. So I make it through this section past the feed zone and am able to get a bottle. Then put my head down and go and tell myself "it is only 30km" I pretty much rode scared the whole time. Taking a mental survey of how my body was doing every 5-10 minutes and made adjustments accordingly. When I came back into town I told myself get to the bridge, when I got to the bridge I stood up and tried to get to the line as fast as I could. So with the gap I had over 2nd place and the main group I was now the leader of the race.
I will finish this in another installment tonight or tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I would like to thank you for doing the blogs. If the team didn't do them I would never know where my son Nathan was at. Great job on the race this weekend.

Nathan's Mom
Linda