Monday, August 08, 2005

State Time Trial Continued

Ok, so Saturday mooning we get out the course around 7 a.m. and begin to unpack and get everything ready. My body was not waking up so I grabbed a Monster out of the cooler and took a sip. After a couple minutes on the bike and I was ready to get my warmup rolling. The warmup I do is anywhere from 45 to 55 minutes depending on the temperature outside. Nathan had figured out that from the car to the start line was about a ten minute ride. This was going to workout perfect for my warmup plans. With about 15 minutes until my start I get my bike off the trainer and put the disc on that Nate let me borrow for the weekend. Put the aero helmet on and put a fresh bottle in the cage and one more laying on my aerobars for the ride to the start line. Once I get to the start line I see I have about 8 minutes to go. So I double back and do two last very short pickups and then go to the start line with two minutes to go and wait. I am called up and ready to get this going.
I am off. 200 meters later a massive wind and downpour hit. I can not see a thing and my bike is being pushed all over the road this lasted about 12km or so. Once it stopped and I could read my computer I looked down to see my heart rate, I was good so I kept going at that intensity. A couple minutes later I looked down at my speed, because I was feeling really comfortable and saw 33mph. I was happy and at this point getting ready for the turn around. After the turn around I was able to catch a couple people. One guy I caught, I ended up going back and forth with for the rest of the race.
When the race was over a small group of us were asking each other what times we had posted. After checking with a few guys I had an idea that I finished top three, but was still not real sure. So the team waited around to find out what the official results were. I ended up taking the win. This what I had wanted, mostly because I have been struggling with getting comfortable on my TT bike and Saturday was the first day this year I was able to put a good ride together.

Matt

No comments: