Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Details

Ok, well the race in Baldagem was interesting. A majority of the guys caught a ride out to the race, something that is not usually an option. Myself and a few others decided to ride out that way we got a solid hour of riding before the race. Once we arrived we went to inscription then to the change room to put on the clothes that we were going to race in. On the way to the race it began to rain pretty good. The temperature was cool so the rain made it cold. So once dressed everyone was looking for newspaper to a under the jersey wind guard. I pulled out the flash Compliance Depot shoe covers. The race started in the rain and continued to rain pretty much the whole time (cant complain this is what the weather is like here). There were some spots on the course where the puddles actually caused enough drag on the bike you felt it slow down. This course had one short and steep muur at the start and finish of ever lap along with a long 1km climb which played to my advantage. The race was 13 laps.
Now with all needed info the races played out like this. On the first lap the group split and all nine of the kingsnorth riders where in the group. Later on the second lap everything came back together. We had a rider off at all times for the first few laps. On the 6th lap I was descending down the very narrow road after the star/finish and said to myself if I want something to stick I will have to attack from about 100 meters after the long hills begins to rise. I was sitting fourth or fifth wheel, while the whole group was strung out on the right side of the road and then jumped as hard as I could and did not look back until I was at the top of the hill to see if anyone was on my wheel, because there was a sharp right then left down hill series of turns at the top and did not want to cause a pile up if someone was there and pulling through. There were two guys. One former CSC professional and a rider from the Sean Kelly Cycling Team on my wheel. We now have 6.5 laps to go and need to work to get a gap that will not be brought back after 4 laps we had over three minutes on the field. So all we had to do was stay upright on the cobbles and other slick turns on the course. Coming into the start/finish there is one last prime. I grab it and then am attacked by the other two riders and the fight is on. We are all just doing everything we can to stay with each other and then weardown each other. I come across the line 3rd. Pretty happy, since before the race I really could not wrap my head around racing that day. O yes, I forgot the lead vehicle was playing music through a loud speaker the whole race so we had that as a motivating factor during the race. I had a smile on the face a couple times because they played some old Janet Jackson and some of my favorite beach boys tunes. There were some faster beats also.
The next day I lined up for another race in a small town just outside Evergem. Just sat in and played the waiting game once we got one of our guys in the front break. I was able to pull 15th out for the day. The best part of the race for me was when I got a lead out for about 2km for a prime. I got the prime I was pretty excited. The racing here has made me have to learn to sprint and move around in such scenarios.
Today is a day off from racing, and will be going again tomorrow. This race starts about 1km from the house and comes down the street where the farm is. I have done this course earlier this season and in 22 laps there are something like 300+ turn (17 per lap) on a 5.5km course.

Matthew

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice job mr. pepperage! have you done any of this racing with a powermeter?

Shannon Koch said...

sounds sweet Matthew!!