Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Elite National results

Well I had my two races yesterday and today. Yesterday was the time trial (35Km). I got there with plenty of time to get warmed up and this is exactly what I did. I was feeling pretty good rolling to the start get on the starting ramp and I a off. I get upto speed pretty quickly and try to settle in. For some reason I just could not find that rhythm I usually feel when doing a TT. But that is ok, I will just keep going and see what I can do on the way back from the turn around. At the beginning of the second half I am moving along at about 30mph and starting to feel better. He speed would vary for the rest of the ride but stayed at high as I could hold it. On the day I ended up 30th. I would have enjoyed a higher placing but it just was not meant to be.
Today was the road race (130miles). I woke up about 5am and got going on my morning routine. Which is eat and get dressed with a shower in there, before taking off for the race start. The warmup was minimal due to the length of the race. I do however ride around just encase someone gets the idea of taking of from the gun. Trust me guys do this sort of thing. Because I have tried it before. Ok back to the race. Everything stayed together except that a 14 man break got up the road and was eventually caught about 2 hours later. Early on I saw my chance to try and bridge the gap and tried but to no avail. I tried a move or two more and decided I was doing too much work and needed to just rest the legs a little bit but stay very attentive incase someone decided to try and make a move and I could follow the across. No this did not happen. After spending about 90 miles in the valley it was time to start heading back to town, which meant more climbing. Usually I am all for this because I can hang with these guys and still be able to fight it out closer to the line. In the beginning this was true over the first climb, but then on the second climb and final one before we hit town and do some smaller climbs. On this final bigger climb I looked to my right and I could see this very large monkey come running out of the bushed right toward our group. I thought to myself I hope he is not headed for me, because my legs still feel ok and he real hard stuff is almost over. Sure enough before we get most of the climb done he jumps on my back and will not let go. So I am officially off and trying to fight my way back. I finished the race and left everything I had on the road. This was not to most difficult course I have done this year but this was a pretty difficult race.
I might not have had my most stellar two days of racing but I can definitely say that I have learned a lot these past two days of racing. Both about myself and racing in and of itself.
I would like to thank everyone for there support. I just wish I had better results to share with you.

Matt

No comments: