Thursday, June 29, 2006

Second Interclub (UCI) Race

So we pull up to the parking lot set aside for the team cars, of the teams that will be participating in the race. What do I see the Davitamon Lotto car parked next to the Quickstep car, which just happens to be a little way down from the Unibet team car. In all there were about 6 pro teams involved in the race. This was probably the most difficult terrain I have raced on. when we were on traditional roads they were good, but when we were on cobbles they were bone shaking. I raced over the MUUR which just happens to be included in the Tour of Flanders along with some other long rough sections of cobbles. The Muur is really steep and windy. The scene was just like on television when you see people lined on both sides of the road cheering and trying to keep the riders moving. I have to say that I was more worried about not getting caught on the wrong side of the split, but I did not have any luck on the part so I went on a solo mission on the other side of the climb to make it across to the front group. Luckly the team car came past and handed me two fresh bottles and a coke to keep me going. I only had a couple of swigs of the coke and ended up just throwing it because I was trying to chase and could not with the coke in my hand. After a little bit a few guys came across to me and we made it to the caravan just behind the frong group. With a little daredevil riding we made it to the middle of the caravan then the next few cars did not want us to pass. Now you are thinking how is that the road should have plenty of room for both the cars and riders, and I chuckle saying no the road was barely wide enough for just the car. Since the cars were blocking up and a gap was opening up between the cars they excellerated and we lost the caravan. So once we got on the next cobble section they just disapeared out of reach and our official bid for bridging across was gone. Which was not so good because I was feeling really good and just sat in the wrong place at the wrong time and missed getting a really good result.

Till next time

Matt

4 comments:

john bratton said...

How's the road rash?

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great riding. Sounds tough!

Anonymous said...

I ran across a 1 foot section of cobblestone today and I thought of you. Anytime I ride over a big crack or a curb I also think of you...as my knuckles knock. Keep knockin'! I love you!

Shannon Koch said...

sounds so familiar...
I get that feeling alot
It sounds so fun Matt.
We all miss you over here :)